Friday, July 3, 2009

Tutorial: Combi-Melta


It's time for CONvergance down in the Twin Cities and I find myself taking a break in order to share how I make my Combi-Meltas. A minor update on some things: my Wave Serpent is finally completed, meaning that my Eldar army is (relatively speaking) complete! My Salamanders WIP is coming along as well. I have one Tactical Squad and two rhinos fully built, the Rhinos are also magnetized so I can swap out the hatches at my whim.

Tutorial: Combi-Melta
If you're like me, you don't have the money to buy a dozen or so Combi-Meltas from the Commander sprue. So here we go, a combi-melta from the tactical sprue!

Requires:
Boltgun
Meltagun
X-acto Knife
File
Super Glue
Greenstuff (optional)

Step 1) Clean both the meltagun and boltgun of any moldlines. If you like to use your pin vise to make holes in the barrels, do this now.




Step 2) Take your bolter and make the following cuts. Keep the part with the muzzle and the grip.


This is what you should have left over:


Step 3) Take your Meltagun and remove a small portion of the cabling closest to the barrel.


This should be your result:


Step 5) Dry fit both parts together; if there's odd gaps due to weird angles on the boltgun, file those down until the pieces are nearly flush. Use your superglue and adhere the two pieces together. Optionally; what you can do is use greenstuff to strengthen the hold and to fill in any weird gaps that might be there.



And there you have it, a simple combi-melta right out of the Tactical Squad box.


1 comment:

  1. Nice idea, although the pictures are small and/or out focus. I will try it for sure.

    ReplyDelete