Monday, August 17, 2009

Space Hulk!

Image Courtesy of GW

Being relatively new to the hobby (3 years now), I've heard many good things about the original Space Hulk boardgame, but have never had the pleasure of actually playing it. Needless to say, as soon as it was officially announced and preorders were optional, I put in my order without thinking twice. :P

I know there was a lot of griping and speculation on what the "Mystery Box" was and I'm sure quite a few people are upset and disappointed that it didn't contain what they wanted (I heard someone wishfully hoping for a plastic Thunderhawk. Yeah, right) and are now complaining and calling GW liars and frauds and other unsavory things.

Not to sound rude, but they can deal with it. This is a game that many of the younger generation of tabletop gamers have not experienced and would otherwise never have the chance to play it. From what I hear, quite a few people started playing 40k because they played one or two games of Space Hulk.

Complaints that I've read are the fact that the models are not on standard 40k bases and that the terminators are covered in Blood Angels iconography. I can understand why GW could've done otherwise and why it is the way it is.

By providing the standard 40k bases in Space Hulk, GW would basically be alowing people who have Space Hulk to use those models in 40k. On the offhand, there's a whole 'nother slew of problems that come into play then - such as possible mold limitations (assuming that the model was molded attached to the base) and how the bases would get attached (I know I was frustrated with the pegged foot deal from AoBR).

It would've been pretty easy to make the Terminators with non-chapter specific iconography, but I imagine that GW wanted to make sure the re-release was as similar to the first edition release (with some rules/miniature polishing) as possible in order to maintain that nostalgia factor for the 20 year anniversary.

Basically, I'm hoping that people will get over the fact that Space Hulk is meant to be a STAND ALONE board game, not a great deal for some Terminators. I know that when I get my box, I'm gonna play a few rounds, and paint those Terminators in all their Blood Angels splendor, stick'em in some packing foam and put'em right back in the box until the next time I play and have a great time.

What are some of your opinions on the rerelease of Space Hulk?

Squirrel_Fish

5 comments:

  1. I am very excited about it. I too have never played the original but have heard so much about it that I can't wait to get my own copy of this new release. I plan on painting them up as blood angels as well and now I also have the chance to paint some nids without having to buy an army.

    People can complain but i know I am excited and can't wait to get my copy of Space Hulk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am painting them up as Blood Angels and using them just for Space Hulk, people don't realise taht these are a one time print that they won't find again easily, filing all the BA bits will just ruin them -_- Too many people want the box to be a way to bolster their armies instead of the board game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone thought about the scale of the models yet? Who sais they are even 28mm heroic and thereby compatible to 40k?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty good point, but I think GW would have to be smoking something pretty serious in order to not have the miniatures in 40k scale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guys,
    I have always wanted to have the game, but was not able to afford then. Now that I can and seeing that the models are damn cool too, hey I have already ordered mine. Needless to say, limited editions could mean I may not be able to get a hold of one. I do hope I get it though...

    ReplyDelete